[C-U Smokefree] Rapid-response team

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 22 10:38:47 CST 2004

For those that may have missed it:

While my letter made it into the DI Friday, so did a letter from Dan
Sullivan entitled "mistreatment of smokers" filled with the usual
bone-headed "personal freedom to smoke" and "slippery slope" arguments.
He also compares smoking to drinking - but I'm just not sure how many
deaths have ever occurred from "second-hand drinking," nor am I sure
what it would be...somebody spilling their beer on the person next to
them?  I guess I just don't get the comparison.

We need to have a "rapid-response" to our oppositions' opinions to keep
the debate hot.  I'd love to write the letter myself, but mine just
appeared.  So can somebody out there - and you must be University
Employee or student - reply to this?

I'm willing to work with someone who wishes to reply, just send me an
email response to this message if you need any assistance.

Writing a letter to the DI is as easy as sending an email to:

opinions at dailyillini.com

President Scott