[C-U Smokefree] Information for tomorrow's meeting

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 17:09:46 CDT 2005

Just wanted to send another message about tomorrow's
meeting, including the agenda below.

First, we will need a volunteer to record the minutes
for the meeting.  Secretary Kathleen Gary is out of
town.

Second, we will be deciding upon appointing Matt
Varble as a new "Director of Public Relations." This
will also require a change to the by-laws.  Matt has
been a solid supporter, taking up the cause as a
candidate in this past Spring's city council election
(ultimately losing to incumbent Vic McIntosh).  More
recently, he spoke ar our Community Forum and
personally pressed city council to advance to a study
session at last week's city council meeting. He has
been in regular contact with council members in both
cities and members of the media as well. He was
interviewed for last Saturday's News-Gazette story and
will be interviewed for a feature on Ch. 3 tonight at
10 pm and again on the Morning Show (also Ch. 3) this
Wednesday.  I think Matt will make a fine Director of
Public Relations who has earned his stripes in this
capacity already.

Finally, we'll be considering moving to weekly
meetings now that we need to be prepared for council
action.  I would VERY MUCH like to hear the ideas or
suggestions of those who don't/can't attend on where
and when we might meet.  Obviously, if 7pm tomorrow
night at Ned Kelly's is inconvenient, you won't be
there. Let me know what would help.  I can't promise
anything, but I can promise to take your thoughts into
consideration. Please respond to me over email and we
will consider your input at tomorrow night's meeting.

MEETING AGENDA
TUESDAY, MAY 24, 7 PM, NED KELLY'S RESTAURANT

* Champaign City Council update (wow!)

* Report from Community Forum

* Media Coverage update

* Council packet notebook strategy

* Vote on Matt Varble as Director of Public Relations

* Instituting Fundraising Strategy

* Review Council Postcard Strategy

* Urbana Farmer's Market

* Schedule weekly meetings (location?)