[C-U Smokefree] A Memorial Day reflection from the Prez

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon May 29 22:16:36 CDT 2006

On this Memorial Day, I say a prayer of thanks to all who fought and died in defense of our country and all that it stands for.

And also on this day, I pause to reflect on the core values we all have as Americans and on what these values truly mean.

Smokers who have been soldiers sometimes can be heard saying "we soldiers fought for the right to smoke."  Personally, I'd like to be able to ask the battlefield dead if they agree.

In any case, too often, our opposition, which seems to be howling in protest louder and longer than ever these days (particularly in the pages of the News-Gazette), attempts to claim a corner on the market for the core American values of freedom, choice and rights.  In my mind, they ought to be particularly ashamed of invoking these values, and the spirits of our true, lost American heroes, in defense of their own vile habit.

So here I reflect on what these values mean to me.

Freedom to me is a situation where all are free from the tyranny of others. Freedom to me can be found in a land where all are free to pursue life, liberty and happiness.  And in a land where government defends this freedom.  The defense of freedom is NOT the defense of my ability to do whatever I want, whenever I want to whomever I want. That concept of "freedom" simply establishes a tyranny over others. And if adhered to, creates a country that is distinctly not free.

Choice to me is the defense of the ability of all of us to have before us a similar array of choices, unhindered by the tyranny of the few.  Of course, not all of us partake of all of the choices, but this choice should be - to whatever extent possible - unhindered by government.  If the able-bodied have certain choices in our society, then government should protect the ability of the differently abled to have before them that same array of choices. If people of one race or ethnicity have before them certain choices, then government should guarantee that all should have available similar choices.  Most of our civil rights law is built on this core foundation of the notion of choice. Having broad choices available to a certain class of people that are unavailable to people of different classes is NOT choice.

Rights to me are always a question of whose rights and under what circumstances. Too often we ask ourselves what rights we have a citizens without asking what kinds of responsibilities we have to our government and to our fellow man. Too often, we are quick to say this or that is "my right" when in fact, such a "right" is little more than an honorable-sounding way to justify doing as one pleases without consideration for any "rights" of others. In any case, the defense of rights is not the defense of rights for a select few (smokers) to do as they please at the expense of all (the public health).

A smoke-free policy defends the freedom of all from the tyranny of the smoker (who undertook their vile habit based on their own freedom of choice).

A smoke-free policy defends the choice of all to select from an equal array of public places - that is to say an equal array of government-licensed business establishments. Under the current policy, smokers have an open array of choices (and can choose not to smoke in the smoke-free places).  Under a smoke-free policy, all have that same choice.

Finally, a smoke-free policy protects the rights of all (smokers and non-smokers alike) to a healthful environment. I can think of no better way to ensure the core guarantee of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness than doing all that we can to create a safer, healthier community and country.

So as we reflect on this day about those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country, we should think about what this country is truly about - and what we want it to be about - and what we want to protect and defend these beliefs.

In the Memorial Day spirit of doing all we can to keep our country and our community strong and defend the core values we all stand for, I now ask each of you reading this to commit to at least TWO of the following acts to help advance a clean air policy for everyone.

1. Write your own letter to the editor of the News-Gazette
2. Contact your Urbana Councilperson in advance of the June 5 vote to express your support for a smokefree policy, or your Champaign Councilperson to thank them for their vote.
3. ATTEND the June 5 Urbana Council meeting at 7pm (arrive at 6:30) so that we may have a very strong showing of appreciation and support for a smokefree policy before the last great act - the Urbana final vote.

See our website for details about all of these acts.

Thank you, and

CU Smokefree!

Scott Hays
The Prez