[CUWiN-Dev] dynamic-dns update clients?

Stephane Alnet stephane at shimaore.net
Sun Mar 6 21:12:05 CST 2005

> Today I searched unsuccessfully for a "universal" client for dynamic
> DNS services.  Is there any such thing?  I need your help to find it.
> It looks like there are lots of services---dyndns.org, noip.com, et
> cetera---and no client updates them all.

I use ddclient[1] under Linux for dyndns and I've never had to worry
about it. It supports (copy & pasted from the doc):
   DynDNS.org - See http://www.dyndns.org for details on obtaining a
free account.
   Hammernode - See http://www.hn.org for details on obtaining a free
account.
   Zoneedit   - See http://www.zoneedit.com for details.
   EasyDNS    - See http://www.easydns.com for details.

[1] http://ddclient.sourceforge.net/

[Also, dyndns actually covers 46 domains:
http://www.dyndns.org/services/dns/dyndns/domains.html ]

At least in the case of dyndns, the updates are done by accessing their
website and having the automated tool 'submit' the page in place of the
user.

> BIND comes with a gigantic nsupdate utility that implements the
> IETF-blessed way of updating DNS.  Alas, none of the popular services
> seems to use the standard method.

Probably because it requires to implement a key-based encryption system
and the assumption is that the regular lambda-user wouldn't know how to
properly handle that stuff. (Since I've never dared implementing this,
I completely understand the feeling.)

To answer your question: I don't know of an universal "dynamic DNS"
client (probably because most people only use _one_ service on any
given host). But before we even answer that question, what do you need
that ''dynamic DNS'' for in the first place? (Remember that in the case
of dyndns et al., you don't own nor control the domains or names you
are using.) In other words, what are your requirements?

S.