[CUWiN-Dev] dynamic-dns update clients?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sun Mar 6 23:40:34 CST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 09:12:05PM -0600, Stephane Alnet wrote:
> To answer your question: I don't know of an universal "dynamic DNS"
> client (probably because most people only use _one_ service on any
> given host). But before we even answer that question, what do you need
> that ''dynamic DNS'' for in the first place? (Remember that in the case
> of dyndns et al., you don't own nor control the domains or names you
> are using.) In other words, what are your requirements?

I have a web/ftp/radio server.  I want to give it a host name in the
chambana.net domain, so that people can reach my server from the greater
Internet, by name.  I want for it to be easy, fast, and free.

Your question made me realize that dynamic DNS is not at all what I need.
I can achieve what I want if I assume that a DNS server on the Internet
(the server of chambana.net, say, or server of urbana.il.us) delegates
control of a sub-domain (race-st-mesh.chambana.net) to a gateway node.
That is, I can use DNS "In the Usual Way."