Fwd: Re: [CUWiN-Dev] Atheros Chip Set

Quantum Scientific Info at Quantum-Sci.com
Fri Mar 25 16:22:52 CST 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 12:40, Peter Barry wrote:
> I am using an Atheros chip set radio (5354 MP PLUS ARIES2).
>
> I tested the transmission distance and found out that  they did not transmit
for more than 150 feet (I used good antennas).

Not sure which chipset that is, but the AR5004 is the most advanced 'g' in
production.  Very sensitive receive. (-105dBm)  Some Atheros have a problem
on Channel 11.  Avoid that if problems.

Assuming you need miniPCI, consider the CM9, which has the AR5004.  They're
about $45 here:
http://www.yellowbloc.com/catalog/

If you can buy >1,000 at a time, under $30.  I have the mfgr if you need this.
Far better yet is anything with the Airgo 'pre-n' chipset.  They make a
miniPCI, but I haven't been able to find them.  Let me know if you do.

Pigtails matter.  Try to find cable with double-shielding ( for much lower
noise temperature), like Belden 7805R or RG174DS.  I haven't been able to
find DS pigtails, so I make my own. (dammit)

The poor performance you saw seems implausible for an Atheros chipset.  Have
you run a signal survey? (DIY instructions on my site)  Of those settings,
only hw.ath.outdoor might be applicable.  There should also be some sort
of .pwr setting.  Did you record signal/noise on both ends?  Did you allow a
fresnel zone of at least 5'?

Best,

Carl Cook