[Cu-wireless] Quick NETGEAR MA301 802.11b Wireless PCI Adapter Question

Jon Dugan jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 12 23:29:15 CST 2001

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 12:17:23PM -0600, Clint Popetz wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:00:55AM -0600, Sascha Meinrath wrote:
> > i was surfing on http://www.pc-product.com/ and came across a wireless
> > adapter for $37.  i want to buy it, my question is, will a NETGEAR MA301
> > 802.11b Wireless PCI Adapter work with ANY wireless card, or just with
> > other NETGEAR products?
> >
> > let me know as I'd like to get one of these soon,
>
> 802.11b is 802.11b is 802.11b.  It will work.

  Yes, that's true.

  However, the real question though is whether or not it is a standard PC Card
  adapter.  If it has a standard PCIC chipset on it, it will likely work with
  any PC Card (not just wireless, but other PC Card devices).

> I always have to work a little harder at this, because finding hardware that
> works well under FreeBSD is always a chore.  But doing your homework never
> hurts.

  I would be quite happy if these worked with FreeBSD...

> Then again, for $37, I'd probably just buy it :)

  Yeah, for $37 bucks it's worth a shot.

Jon
--
Jon Dugan             |  Senior Network Engineer, NCSA Network Development
jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu  |  269 CAB, 605 E Springfield, Champaign, IL 61820