[Cu-wireless] Quick NETGEAR MA301 802.11b Wireless PCI Adapter Question

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Wed Nov 14 00:57:14 CST 2001

It appears from a Web search that these work with the *BSDs and Linux,
although you may have to patch your kernel.

Seems like the MA301 adapts the wireless PC Card to act like a PCI device.
It is not a generic CardBus adapter. At this URL there is a discussion:

http://lists.spack.org/pipermail/ptp/2001q3/008581.html

Sounds like D-Link's PCI adapter will adapt any CardBus card....

Dave

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 11:29:15PM -0600, Jon Dugan wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 12:17:23PM -0600, Clint Popetz wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:00:55AM -0600, Sascha Meinrath wrote:
> > > i was surfing on http://www.pc-product.com/ and came across a wireless
> > > adapter for $37.  i want to buy it, my question is, will a NETGEAR MA301
> > > 802.11b Wireless PCI Adapter work with ANY wireless card, or just with
> > > other NETGEAR products?
> > >
> > > let me know as I'd like to get one of these soon,
> >
> > 802.11b is 802.11b is 802.11b.  It will work.
>
>   Yes, that's true.
>
>   However, the real question though is whether or not it is a standard PC Card
>   adapter.  If it has a standard PCIC chipset on it, it will likely work with
>   any PC Card (not just wireless, but other PC Card devices).
>
> > I always have to work a little harder at this, because finding hardware that
> > works well under FreeBSD is always a chore.  But doing your homework never
> > hurts.
>
>   I would be quite happy if these worked with FreeBSD...
>
> > Then again, for $37, I'd probably just buy it :)
>
>   Yeah, for $37 bucks it's worth a shot.
>
> Jon
> --
> Jon Dugan             |  Senior Network Engineer, NCSA Network Development
> jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu  |  269 CAB, 605 E Springfield, Champaign, IL 61820
> 217-244-7715          |  http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/people/jdugan

David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933