[Cu-wireless] net4521, latest developments, MEETING!!!

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Tue Aug 6 02:37:27 CDT 2002

Sounds like you're making rapid progress with your 4521, Stephane.
Would you like for me to produce a stylish waterproof enclosure for it? =)

I've mostly assembled one of my ammo can routers. I have a radio, jumper,
and omni antenna are on order. I have not worked at all on the software,
yet.

See my post titled 'simple design proposal' for my most recent thinking
about the network and CD-ROM. Essentially, I think the station CD-ROM
should choose IP numbers from 10/8 by hashing MAC numbers, and then run
OSPF in point-to-multipoint mode on every wireless interface.  That will
get us started, I think.  Your thoughts?

Someone gave Sascha a small donation for the purchase of two 8dBi omni
antennas. I have bought the same antenna for my ammo can router. So
we have three omni antennas and three or four Pringles can antennas to
use in our network, a simple network design and a CD-ROM that is near
to implementing it, many PCs and radios. I think it is time to start
putting antennas on rooftops.

Let's have a meeting on Thursday to discuss next steps. RSVP. =)

Dave

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:35:52PM -0500, stephane at shimaore.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've updated my page on the net4521[1] a bit more. There's a compactflash
> image with kernel 2.5.26 (for standalone bootup), and (somewhat)
> detailed instructions for PXE bootup, along with an initrd image suitable
> for PXE.  (Also one nice picture for the PR folks. You guys know who you
> are!) Not sure who that would interest, but since I've gone through the
> process of getting that thing to run decently, I may as well save somebody
> else's time. :)
>

> Dave, I'm not sure what your current thoughts are for the CD image design.
> Should I just put zebra on the compactflash and bring the board to the
> next meeting (whenever that is) to see if we can get it to interact with
> the desktops? I have two cards I can use for the Soekris board, and there
> are two ethernet ports on the board, so if we want to test routing that
> could be interesting. </Dave>
>

> My 2 cents,
> S.
>
> [1] http://www.shimaore.net/CUWireless/Soekris4521/
>

> PS: The schedules haven't been printed yet, but I volunteered to give a
> class on "Home Networking" for Urbana Adult Education (district 116)
> next Fall and it got accepted. If we have some outreach/PR stuff available
> by then I wouldn't mind mentioning CUW during the class. (That would give
> us two months, the class is in October.)

dyoung at onthejob.net     Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933