[Cu-wireless] how much power does a PC draw?

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Wed Oct 23 17:57:00 CDT 2002

One of our station hosts tells Sascha and I that his power bill went up
by $20 after we installed a Dell in his closet. I am trying to figure
out if the Dell is actually to blame.

The Dell has a 230W power supply, and I think that we figured out that
$20 is the price of a 230 Watt-month. But I was under the impression
that switching power supplies draw little more power than they put out,
and I do not think that even a 166MHz Pentium with a hard disk, CD-ROM,
and floppy should draw even as much as 100W.

$20/mo. is a lot to ask for a host to pay, and it is too much for
the wireless project to pay, so I want to get to the bottom of this.
Your thoughts?

dyoung at ojctech.com      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933