[Cu-wireless] write a server-free chat application!

Susan Potter su_potter at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 25 23:39:39 CDT 2002

Hi guys,

Sorry I've not been particapting in the meetings for a few months.
Currently working on a Chicago contract, so only in Champaign on some
weekends to catch up with mail!:(

This thread caught my eye, mostly because I can actually contribute a well
informed 2 cents here (at least with respect to the registry server(s) -
clustering could be possible with JMS, but one step at a time).  The
discovery process you are describing here is exactly where JINI (yes, that
is pronounced "genie") fits into the equation in the Java Server world.
Three years ago I was working on a very similar problem (the technical
basics were the exact same), except applied to Business-to-Business auction
markets (mostly energy trading networks, like the good old Enron we have all
grown to love over the last 10 months - but I'll try not to brag about that
one too much).  It was a clever ploy by the founder of the company to get
funding ("ebay + napster = money" read his email subject to the Venture
Capitalists).  I worked using JINI to prototype the registry server, but at
the time JINI was very immature technology, I believe the reference
implementation could have still been in beta release, so at the time we
decided to build our own server framework components from the ground up (a
chellenging technical exercise but not so great when there's not enough
money in the bank:).  But I remember from reading the specifications then
and even the little amount of the reference implementation API that we did
use in the prototype, that this was VERY powerful and VERY flexible
(although, of course, a little slow being JDK 1.2beta at the time....but now
it's really hardly an issue, especially with JDK 1.4.1).

If you want to individually read up on JINI visit:
http://wwws.sun.com/software/jini/

That's just my two cents.  Thanks,
Susan
Susan Potter/Senior Software Engineer