[Cu-wireless] Node hardware recommendations

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Tue Jul 8 04:29:55 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 06:10:05PM -0500, Kristjan Onu wrote:
> Since we're almost within reach of current CUW nodes (W. Elm, between
> Coler and Busey), it seems like a good idea to get hardware that will
> make it easy to join the CUW.

  That is pretty close. Is the building two or more stories tall?
  Roof access?

> For the radio card, I'm leaning toward the SMC "long-range" model
> (SMC2532W-B). Using it in a spare desktop computer will require a
> PCMCIA to PCI adapter. Any suggestions for this (I haven't found the
> $35 adapters David Young mentioned)? Information on antennas would
> also be appreciated.

  I think the SMC2532W-B is essentially the same radio as we use in one
  of our nodes. It will work fine.

  About the PCI to PCMCIA adapter, here is the advice I had for
  someone the other day, "The latest 802.11b radios and all the .11a/g
  cards are Cardbus, so I suggest the Buffalo/Melco PCI->Cardbus
  bridge, part number WLI-PCI-OP. It sells for about $30. See
  <http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Buffalo_Games_WLI_PCI_OP~FD-1725>."

  Our standard antenna is an 8dBi omni; we use up to 20 feet of radio
  cable to connect the omni to the radio.  To adapt the tiny MMCX
  connector on the radio to the fat connector (either SMA or N) on the
  cable, you need a "pigtail".

  We can provide you the latest software for your router.