[Cu-wireless] Looking for a first contact CWN point-person:

Jon Dugan jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 11 14:55:25 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 02:19:49PM -0600, David Young wrote:

> >     http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/
> >

> Wow. If the screenshots are any indication, this looks like it easily
> beats everything else I have seen in open source (bugzilla, gnats) for
> usability. If it has fewer bugs than gnats, I'm sold.  What has been
> your experience with it?

  I've been involved with the networking for the Supercomputing tradeshow
  (http://www.sc-conference.org/) for the last several years.  We use it to
  handle questions about network connection before the show (each booth can
  order it's own connection ranging from 100 Mb/s ethernet to 10 Gb/s
  ethernet) and to handle trouble reports during the show.  We have a team of
  about 40 people that are involved in the effort, I think we had about 500
  tickets in the system for last year's show.

  I think having a ticket system like this would be helpful for tracking
  informational requests as well as problem reports and bug reports.

  The way we used it for Supercomputing is to have a queue for each interest
  area, an email alias that dumped into that queue and a few people who were
  assigned as "watchers" for each queue.  The watchers receive an email (this
  is configurable) each time a ticket enters the queue they are watching.

  Here's an initial set of queues I can think of:

    info     - informational request
    trouble  - operational trouble with the network
    bugs     - software bugs
    sysadmin - track requests regarding infrastructure machines
    www      - track issues related to the website

Jon
--
Jon Dugan             |  Senior Network Engineer, NCSA Network Research
jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu  |  269 CAB, 605 E Springfield, Champaign, IL 61820