[Cu-wireless] HSLS?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri May 14 17:56:34 CDT 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:31:11AM -0600, Joe Pickert wrote:
> Toward this end, I think it should be as simple as possible for people or
> businesses to "donate" usage of their hardwired bandwidth when they don't
> need it, and take it back when they do. So, if a gateway can advertise
> itself and its excess capacity "schedule" (e.g., you can use 0% of my T1
> line from 8am-5pm, 40% from 5pm-10pm, etc.), then I think getting gateways
> on board becomes a lot easier. Of course, they must also be able to change
> the advertised shedule with little or no notice.

Joe,

I am revisiting old e-mails here. =)

This problem of giving/taking excess capacity according to a schedule
has just raised in priority following discussions this week with a
representative of the Open Society Institute.  Just for example, an
Armenian university, that shares its thin Internet pipe with its town,
will want for the townspeople to "sip" from the Internet, most of the time.

This will probably look something like a CGI script that lets you
set bandwidth limits on a weekly schedule.  The script has to keep
the schedule in some non-volatile storage (remember the routers run
read-only/in ramdisk) and convert from the schedule to rulesets for the
ALTQ bandwidth shaper.  I guess some cron job loads the rules.  Yup,
that's a neat project that I don't have time to do.  Somebody else?