[CUWiN] accept FreeNetworks peering agreement?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sat Sep 4 12:01:44 CDT 2004

We are discussing the PicoPeering Agreement in Denmark.

Questions people are asking: does the Peering Agreement cover the transit
to/from the Internet?  Do I have to break my user agreement w/ ISP to
comply w/ Agreement?

A thought: the word "network" should become "router" in the following
gloss.  "Transit: Transit is the exchange of data into, out of or across
a network".

Consensus that it is not an agreement or a contract between individuals
but a declaration.

Much discussion about port filtering to control, say, P2P programs.
I mention that if you block ports, it has network-wide effects.  If you
are on the (weighted) shortest path between a source and destination,
blocking port 25, then the source needs to re-run SPF to take this
into account.  Yuck!

Seems to be consensus that port filtering is complicated; people may
still want to do it.  People do not want to bar it in the agreement.