[CUWiN] Large Installation

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Mon Feb 28 10:30:03 CST 2005

Hi Nick,

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Nick Inbody wrote:

> Thank you Sascha.
>
> I am looking into the idea of setting up a "large" test system using low
> budget hardware.  We have about 5 acres of open space around our main
> facility, and I keep having visions of it blanketed with old Pentium
> class PCs, quietly humming away with CUWiN on them.  It might not be
> realistic, but if I can get the cost low enough I might be able to get
> my commissioners to fund a little research project.  As a county
> government, we have access to federal/state surplus which might serve to
> get us the PCs at next to nothing.
>
> The ultimate goal would be to prove the viability of the system, in
> pursuit of funding for a production system to cover the entire county
> area, approximately 425 sq. miles.
>
> Any suggestions for getting the most bang out of a test bed,
> specifically for the intent of proving scalability?
>
> Nick

Your ideas are definitely right in keeping with CUWiN's mission and
purpose.  The main issue with the recycled computer installation is
making sure you buy PCI wireless cards that are supported by the CUWiN
software (there's a list on the documentation pages).  I like the idea of
demonstrating the viability of the system.  CUWiN is currently a prototype
network, not a finished product -- so anything that can be done to help
test out the technology will help future users and deployers.

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
President                 *   Project Coordinator   *   Policy Analyst