[CUWiN] Champaign's "free" wireless.

Tim Yardley liquid at haveheart.com
Thu Sep 6 19:55:50 CDT 2007

David/Sasha;

You guys could have asked me and I would have just told you what the story
is.  Anyway, the lowdown is Web traffic, ICMP, and DNS are what are allowed
through, everything else is blocked.  400kbps/400kbps speed limits (unless
that's changed since it was dropped in).

The coverage in comparison to what "bleads" out of the coffee shops is more
than substantial.  When was the last time you sat in west side park and used
wifi from a coffee shop?

There are very few areas in the downtown region where you don’t have atleast
50% coverage.  Most of it is 85% signal or higher.

The article isn't exactly straightforward on what was done or how it was
done, but that's news for you.  The triple-play notion has nothing to do
with the free wireless project at the moment, but our backbone it connects
to does provide additional services.

/tmy

Note: In the interest of full disclosure, I work for Pavlov Media but I am
not speaking for Pavlov or on behalf of Pavlov.