[Imc-events] Adam Brodsky Sunday @ IMC 8pm

Zach - UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator zcmshows at ucimc.org
Fri Oct 18 21:09:50 CDT 2002

Adam Brodsky w/ Darrin Drda and TBA
Sunday, October 20th - 8pm
Doors at 7:30pm.  All Ages.  BYOB if 21+.
Independent Media Center
218 W. Main, Suite 110, Urbana, IL
(west of The Office, east of Strawberry Fields and Piccadilly)
http://shows.ucimc.org  --  http://www.ucimc.org  --  http://gallery.ucimc.org

Adam Brodsky has been described as a cross between Woody Guthrie and
the Sex Pistols, and this is at least the third time the Philly-native
has stopped through Urbana. He is the original dork of anti-folk. I
like to describe him as equal parts Charles Bukowski, Dennis Miller,
and Woody Guthrie. He is as funny as he is controversial. His words
are slam poetry, his music is punky folk. He may be the most sincere
guy with a guitar you'll meet.
http://adambrodsky.com/news.html

Darrin Drda has been writing songs in Champaign for at least 10 years
and is also kicks off the weekly Thursday IMC Cabaret.
http://www.darrindrda.org/

"So where the hell does Adam Fucking Brodsky of all people get off
making a record this awesome?...Adam Brodsky.s Folk Remedy raises the
bar on what an Antifolk album should be." --The Dork Grows Up; Adam
Brodsky: Folk Remedy Reviewed by Tony Hightower

"[Adam Brodsky's] in-your-face songsmithing has more in common with
Woody Guthrie than most of those saccarine-sweet neo-folkies out
there." --Eric Brace, Washington Post

Anyone who is getting this message and is into folk/accoustic music
and isn't on the folk-fans list, you should let me know. Next week
I'll be announcing a website for people to plug into volunteering for
shows. I'm also hoping to get in touch with other folk venues around
town so we can maybe all work together promoting each others
shows. The folk-fans list will be a very low traffic moderated (no
spam) list with announcements of folk shows, calls for opening acts,
calls for volunteers to promote and staff shows, and brainstorming
about how to make the local folk scene rock.

Other Upcoming Folk Shows at the IMC

Saturday, October 26
Mark Erelli and Beth Amsel w/ Kevin Elliott
http://www.markerelli.com/
http://www.bethamsel.com/

Monday, October 28
Anne Feeney and Chris Chandler
http://www.annefeeney.com/
http://www.primecd.com/chandler.htm

Tuesday, October 29
Allette Brooks w/ MJ Walker and Fictive Kin
http://www.allettebrooks.com/

Saturday, November 2
Joni Laurence and MJ Walker
http://www.jonilaurence.com/

Friday, November 8
Andrew Kerr w/ Cameron McGill and Darrin Drda
http://www.andrewkerr.com/

Saturday, November 9
Kris Delmhorst
http://www.krisdelmhorst.com/

Monday, November 11
Teddy Goldstein w/ Etay Luz
http://www.teddygoldstein.com/

Saturday, November 16, 2002
Vicki Salz and Felonious Funk with Jason Bently and Kate Hathaway
http://www.vickisalz.com/

Sunday, November 17, 2002
Ripley Caine
http://www.ripleycaine.com/

Saturday, November 23, 2002
Ellen Rosner
http://house-of-music.com/ellenrosner/

UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator - http://shows.ucimc.org
Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta! - Share and Enjoy