[Imc-makerspace] Fwd: iCensor

Stewart Dickson MathArt at Emsh.CalArts.edu
Thu Jun 23 07:13:09 CDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	iCensor
Date: 	Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:22:13 +0000
From: 	Josh Levy, FreePress.net <info at freepress.net>
To: 	Stewart Dickson <mathart at emsh.calarts.edu>

SavetheInternet.com <http://savetheinternet.com>
<http://act2.freepress.net/go/4626?akid=2596.9117198.Ty2kUB&t=1>

**Act Now: Stop Apple’s iPhone Kill Switch
<http://act2.freepress.net/go/4626?ak_proof=1&akid=.9057871.z0WfPP&t=2&akid=2596.9117198.Ty2kUB>*
*

Dear Stewart,

Think you own your smartphone? Think again.

Apple wants to patent a kill switch technology that can detect when
people are using their phone cameras and give corporations the power to
shut them down.^1

Thinkthat’s bad? Imagine what would happen if this tool fell into the
hands of repressive regimes. Thousands of people across the Middle East
have used cellphone cameras to document governmentabuses.

This kind of technology would give tyrants the power to stem the flow of
videos and crack down on protesters with impunity.

*Sign our letter to Apple CEO Steve Jobs: Demand that Apple stop
developing technology that harms democracy and free speech. *
<http://act2.freepress.net/go/4626?akid=2596.9117198.Ty2kUB&t=3>

Apple says this new technology was designed to stop concertgoers from
taking unofficial video at live events. But you can bet that governments
and corporations will use it  in other, more dangerous ways – to silence
the voices of protesters, political opponents or anyone else they dislike.

As Steve Jobs obviously knows, smartphones have become extensions of
ourselves. They are incredibly powerful tools for communication,
education, political expression, community organizing and just plain fun.

*Tell Steve Jobs that WE control our phones: Neither Apple nor anybody
else can dictate what we photograph and film with them.*
<http://act2.freepress.net/go/4626?akid=2596.9117198.Ty2kUB&t=4>

Earlier this year, researchers discovered that iPhones recorded your
every move for the past year in a hidden but unprotected file.^2 The
public was outraged, and Apple soon announced that it was updating its
software to better protect users.

We must stop Apple again. This newcamera-blockingtechnology is a
pre-emptive strike against free speech. If activated, it would be
immensely harmful to our rights to connect and communicate.

Please take action now to urge Steve Jobs to pull the plug on this
censorship technology.

Thanks,
Josh Levy
Online Campaign Manager
Free Press
www.freepress.net

1. “Is Apple Launching a Pre-emptive Strike Against Free Speech?”
/Huffington Post/, June 22, 2011:
<http://act2.freepress.net/go/4625?ak_proof=1&akid=.9057871.z0WfPP&t=5&akid=2596.9117198.Ty2kUB>http://act2.freepress.net/go/4692?akid=2596.9117198.Ty2kUB&t=7
<http://act2.freepress.net/go/4692?akid=2596.9117198.Ty2kUB&t=6>

2. “Got an iPhone or 3G iPad? Apple is recording your moves,” /O’Reilly
Radar/, April 20, 2011:
http://act2.freepress.net/go/4627?akid=2596.9117198.Ty2kUB&t=9
<http://act2.freepress.net/go/4627?akid=2596.9117198.Ty2kUB&t=8>