[Imc-makerspace] Dispatch from the Illinois Arms Race

Bill Hannaford kousotsu at uymail.com
Fri Oct 7 17:48:07 CDT 2011

On 07 October 2011, Brian Duggan wrote:
> Right. Too bad not everyone has access to the bottomless well
> of storage that the UI provides. It also seems the point of this
> kind of static sneakernet is to ensure that the storage medium
> has no owner or controller. I dig it.

I've had several people observe that it's like digital geocaching.
Personally, I like its added flavor of illicit sex in an alleyway.

> What about the plug itself? How long do the pins last while exposed
> to the elements?

I think that question remains to field testing and acquired wisdom
on placement.  My first thought was that a female USB jack would
better protect one, but probably just yields a different variety
of failure, and the Dead Drops Manifesto expresses distaste for
any need to bring a cable.