[Imc-makerspace] March Membership Meeting Minutes [3/25]

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 03:44:40 UTC 2012

Hello my peeps,

Good to see everyone tonight.  I took a few notes and those are below.  As
a highlight, we need volunteers to man the MakerSpace booth at the Mini
Maker Faire on April 14th.  If interested, e-mail Chris Ritzo (
chris.ritzo at gmail.com).

Attendees: Barry, Chris, Brian, Tom, Gergana

Agenda:
- Membership update & money status
     *) Getting monthly profit/loss reports from finance;  Currently, the
space has >$3000 in the bank
        - would be nice to get a different way to make money: e.g. selling
refurbed machines, grant-funded programs, doing week-long Arduino workshops
with the library
        - maybe approach Allen Hall for new workshops; Tom to look at
parts, Chris will contact Allen Hall coordinator for follow-up
        - restructuring Help Desk with different levels of membership (in
progress); need more volunteers for Tuesday Help Desk
     *) Open Hours - keep it going on Wednesdays 7-9pm up to and after
Maker Faire
        - potential projects for open hours:
            -- turning power supply into a desk supply
            -- would be nice to start working on a CNC router (kickstarter,
or some other funding source to get money for parts?)
- Mini Maker Faire <http://ucmakerfaire.com/> (April 14) update
     *) The Faire received a grant from the city for $1500-2000; a lot of
people have already sign up; registration closes on March 30th - spread the
word;
     *) Makerspace participation: will have the robot pins, will show how
to solder the blinky LED badge
        - need to make sure we have enough people to man the table; please
e-mail Chris if you're planning on volunteering
- Mitch Altman visit restrospective: good visit, quite a few opportunities
for a follow-up
- Upcoming/potential events:
     *) Arduino/TV-b-gone workshop follow-up (Doodle
link<http://www.doodle.com/piaeisdg2s4u37dp>;
shaping up for next weekend)
        - will do it next Sat, March 31 @ the makerspace
        - need to clean out the space a bit for the workshop; can do it
during Open Hours
     *) Stewart's presentation for the 2012 SME Rapid Prototyping
Conference (date?)
        - perhaps combine it with movie night?
     *) Another movie night
        - April seems pretty full of events; might push it to early May
     *) Monthly show & tell with guest speakers
        - seems Stewart and Erich had the same idea; the two of them should
get together and work out a plan

The evening was sadly pun-free but we enjoyed some baklava regardless.

See you around,
~Gergana