[Imc-makerspace] IMC Open House and IMC Omnia proposals

Jeffrey Putney quaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 17:06:59 UTC 2013

Hey Danielle,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad quad day went so well, that's wonderful.

As for the Maker Faire discussion I'm going to forward this to
Makerfaire-discuss at lists.chambana.net which is the mailing list dedicated
to Maker Faire organizing. And anyone here is certainly welcome to
join<https://lists.chambana.net/mailman/listinfo/makerfaire-discuss>.
 I'll also make sure we talk this over a bit tonight at open hours.

Thanks!
  Jeff

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Danielle Chynoweth <chyn at ojctech.com>wrote:

> Hi Makerspace folk,
>
> First off, thanks to Makerspace for your awesome staffing efforts at Quad
> Day. We gathered several hundred emails.  I will send you all the email
> addressed when they are compiled so you can email them directly about
> Makerspace events.
>
> I was chatting with Jeff, Monica, and Gergana on the Quad about
> positioning our planned IMC Open House next to the Makerfaire so that the
> events can flow together and we can cross promote.
>
> Jacob from OddMusic working group proposed an IMC Omnia component to the
> day. IMC Omnia is a late night or all night performance, music, and art
> making that culminates into a showing at the end.
>
> So Sept 21 could look like this:
> 10 - 4 Makerfaire!
> 4 - 5  Open House Tour of the IMC and all related projects (including
> Makerspace)
> 5 - 6  IMC talk about membership and film about Indymedia
> 6 - 1am (or later) IMC Omnia
>
> I want to make sure these other activities compliment all the hard work
> you have done with Makerfaire.  Here are my questions:
>
> 1) Is it better for you to have the IMC Open House overlap with Makerfaire
> or happen right after it? If it overlaps, it would involve a tour, talk,
> and membership drive and might cancel the movie.  If overlap is preferable
> then when?
>
> 2) Is it preferable for Makerfaire to absorb the IMC Omnia activities
> instead of having these as separate events? The focus is on making, but
> more in the music composition and art sense than tools, technology and
> robotics.  If so, I will propose this to Jacob.
>
> Your candid answers are welcome!!
>
> The Open House group is meeting Friday to start promotions so please
> respond in the next day or so.
>
> Danielle

Jeffrey Putney
Senior Software Engineer