[Imc-newsroom] News "workshop" report

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 14 02:35:30 CST 2001

Tonight Paul R., Eric H. and Jason C. met and discussed some basic
foundational issues for producing radio news and radio news
programs.  Zach. M. sat in for the last 20 minutes or so.

I will work up a better summary of specific ideas, but the basic territory
we covered included:
-formatting for magazine type shows, 30-60 min in length
-basic technical issues
-ideas for training and mentoring in radio journalism and production
-methods for story selection, how to turn ideas into full programs
-questions for choosing topics, _before_ doing a story
-considerations about audience and desired effect
-ideas for "listening assignments"

There was agreement that we develop these guidelines and schemas as we
continue to do radio work, looking towards WEFT and Jason's program
"Sidetrack," as venues.  Jason is very interested in training people in
production, and stressed the importance of having something concrete to
work on.

I would like to request that the "workshop" be an item on this Sunday's
agenda--I would like us to think about what our next step forward is.

--Paul