[Imc-newsroom] NEWS Agenda template, ver 1.1beta

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 14 03:03:34 CST 2001

Paul K. wrote a nice agenda template a couple weeks ago and I'd like to
suggest some subtle additions/modifications to help us frame and  allocate
our efforts wisely .

All my additions are intended to help us see stories through to completion
and into the eyes and ears of our audience, rather than just into our
archive shelves.  Therefore focus is put on figuring out the what/why/how
and when of stories.    Comments are welcome!

NOTE: My additions will be preceeded/demarked by an asterisk *, most of
what I cut out I put in parentheses.  I took out the suggestions that Paul
had for big business to cover,  so that this more resembles an outline that
can be used week-to-week.  I still think that Paul's suggestions for
discussion were right on.

Template/Outline for IMC Newsroom Meetings:

I. Introductions
	1. NEW FACES and THEIR PROJECTS, FIRST!
	2. Repeat-attendees and their *beats (interests), BRIEFLY.
II. ASSIGNMENTS for the UPCOMING WEEK
	*Go around the room, each person mentioning whatever item(s) s/he has.
	*For each item ask/consider the following:
		*1.Who wants to cover?  Can people collaborate?
		*2. Why is this story important? -- ["because the mainstream
			media missed it" is likely not the whole answer--look deeper]
		*3. What is the likely venue for this story?
		*4. How long is this story to be?  News wrap/headline, short piece,
			long investigative piece?
		*5. About how much time will it take to cover the story and produce it?
		*6. When do we expect/want it completed?
III. WEEK in REVIEW / * On-Going projects
	*Go around the room, ask each person what stories were covered or are in
progress.
	*For each item ask/consider the following:
		*1. What is/was the story's venue?
			If the story is unfinished:
		*2. How complete is it?  What is its likelihood for completion?
		*3. What more time, help, resource is needed to complete it?
		*4. Can anyone offer help?
		*5. When is it likely to be completed?
(I combined ongoing with last week since, by nature, not all stories should
be discrete one week efforts, and we should allow ourselves the time to
finish things rather than just jump from unfinished story to unfinished story).

THE FOUR ABOVE COULD (optimistically) take *5-10 minutes each, which would
leave time for:
IV. OLD BUSINESS

V. NEW BUSINESS