[Imc-newsroom] Re: [Imc-info] spamming and my editorial cartoons

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 9 23:51:34 CDT 2002

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your concern.  I think the issue that ML brought up has to do
with cross-posting to multiple IMCs and the number of posts you've placed
on our newswire.  One major goal of the IMC network is to create
dissemination points for stories that are directly relevant to the
constituencies that access each IMC's website.  I don't read ML's comments
to be critical of your content -- but rather to be raising the question of
why your cartoons are being posted to _each_ IMC's website instead of
utilizing the Global IMC website for global distribution.

Our newswires are a commons and as such, each time people post to our
wire, they fill up a certain amount of usable space (on the front page).
I think it would be great to continue having your cartoons posted to our
website, but I would strongly encourage you to post them as a single story
-- for example, as a weekly digest.  The issue is more about our local IMC
wanting to highlight locally produced and salient media.

I'd be happy to answer any questions or concerns you have.  I've also
cc-ed the UCIMC groups you wrote since I am one UCIMC volunteer, but don't
speak for the collective as a whole.  I hope you understand our goal of
both highlighting underrepresented views and focusing on local content.

In solidarity,

--Sascha