[Imc-newsroom] ** Network-wide IRC Meeting: MAY 19, 16:00 GMT ** [SECOND CALL]

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Sat May 11 17:41:31 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I wanted to remind everyone about this in the hope that more of you will
join the meeting.  It would be great to have a strong UCIMC presence at
this meeting.  Please let me know if you can make it.  I will personally
teach folks how to attend if that'll make the difference between attending
and not.

--Sascha

INVITATION TO BI-MONTHLY NETWORK-WIDE IRC MEETING

WHAT: A meeting on Indymedia's IRC server (irc is like a chat room,
allowing people to have real-time text-based discussions), of at least one
liaison from every local imc and network-wide working group, and
invidusals throughout the network, to update each other on what each of us
is doing, and to discuss issues that are essential to indymedia.

WHEN: May 19, Sunday, 16:00 GMT (check"http://www.greenwichmeantime.com"
to find the time in your place) The time will change for every next
meeting, so people from local IMCs in time zones inconvenient to each
meeting will be better able to attend the next one.

WHERE: http://irc.indymedia.org, #meeting

WHO: YOU!!!  Each local IMC and global working group (like imc-video,
imc-radio, imc-print) should ask one of its members to participate in the
meeting, with the purpose of relaying information from the local
imc/working group to everyone else at the meeting, and, afterward, making
sure people in the local IMC/working group know what happened in the
meeting. Individuals may also attend the main room of the meeting, and
will be asked to provide a very brief introduction as well.  In addition,
there will be several chat rooms open during and after the meeting, each
focusing on a particular issue that is relevant to the network.

WHY: About a year ago we had a couple network-wide meetings via IRC
discuss, among other things, open publishing and its importance to
indymedia.  The indymedia network is growing every day and as we get
bigger and more global we realize how important it is for us to hear from
each other. Some of the goals we have for re-starting network-wide irc
meetings are (1) share more with each other what's happening at the local
level; (2) to find more common ground in our diversity and to build more
trust and (3) to begin to communicate more as whole and to find ways to
improve the process for how we do that.

HOW: http://process.indymedia.org/howtoattend.php3

The meeting will start in a "main room," which will be exclusively for
introductions and letting people know what chat rooms will be open to
discuss which issues.  This is where liaisons from each local IMC and
working group will provide a very quick summary of what their group is
doing (sort of like "intros" in a real-life meeting), and individuals will
introduce themselves as well.  The meeting will then will break into
several smaller chat rooms, each focused on discussion about an issue that
is facing the indymedia network, and will conclude with report-backs from
those chat rooms.  Please e-mail the "imc-commwork at indymedia.org" working
group to suggest items for discussion in the smaller chat rooms.  You may
also bring suggestions to the meeting itself, but preferably e-mail them
to imc-commwork before the meeting.

This main room of this meeting will be in English, with translation in
parallel chat rooms.  The next meeting's main room will be in Spanish,
with translation to other languages.

AND THEN: This initiative comes from the imc-commwork at indymedia.org
working group, which is composed of a handful of people from various IMCs
who believe in the power of effective network-wide communication.  The
imc-commwork at indymedia.org working group proposes we have these meetings
every other month from May 5 forward, the first Sunday of every other
month, to provide a time for report-backs, discussion and focus.  To help
this happen, imc-commwork needs to have more volunteers than it does now,
from all over the network.  Please join the list (through
http://lists.indymedia.org) and help make this happen.