[Imc-radio] July 4th Festival!

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Thu Jun 5 23:43:09 CDT 2003

The IMC Shows group is currently working on trying to set up an
outdoor IMC festival. We're talking with the city and local businesses
about this and it seems entirely possible that it can be done as long
as we get enough volunteer support.

The idea would be to have a bunch of local bands play, have a lot of
fundraising pitches for the capital campaign, and showcase the IMC's
many functions, and also have other local businesses that want to
participate have booths of their own.

Meghan Krausch and I, with the help of the shows group have agreed to
coordinate the event overall but as coordinators we need people to
coordinate. We can't pull this event together by ourselves.

Things we will need from IMCstas:

        People willing to lend a helping hand on the day of the event,
        set up, booth staffing, carrying donation boxes around, giving
        an IMC schpiel on stage, breakdown, etc.

        People willing to help before the fest coordinate very
        specific tasks as assigned by the overall festival
        coordinators such as getting tents, getting a stage,
        organizing band logistics, organizing booths, contacting local
        businesses, distributing promotional material, etc.

        Ideas. Brainstorm. Think low budget. What kinds of fun stuff
        can we make happen if we have a couple blocks of city streets
        to do with as we please?

Working Groups

        It would be great if various working groups could do something to
        promote themselves at this event. We could set up a video
        viewing area for the video group, a listening area for the
        radio group, a reading area for print and zines. We could have
        a zine reading on stage in amongst the performances. We could
        have a mini-cabaret on stage in amongst the performances. We
        could have reporters from each group covering the event. We
        could give on the spot trainings to random people from the
        street and have THEM cover the event. We could have art
        gallery art on the street for viewing.

        It would be great if someone could step forward from each
        interested working group and agree to come to shows meetings
        since this is the primary thing that we'll be working on at
        all shows group meetings between now and then.

This festival is entirely doable but it isn't finalized. If we don't
get a critical mass of non-shows group people showing interest it
ain't gonna happen.

Please respond if you are interested in helping to make this happen
and let me know what kinds of things you are interested in helping
with.

We'll be sending out a LOT more detailed information about this event
next week after we get some of the foundational logistics
finalized. Right now though one of the foundational logistics issues
is "how many people will help us on this?"

Are you with us!?