[Imc-radio] Re: Response to Interview

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Wed Mar 26 12:26:52 CST 2003

Howdy, neigbors:

I enter the conversation at the point where Al Kagan expresses concern
about the content of an interview he participated in, saying he presumed
he'd be interviewed by a "progressive."  Clint makes the point that "IMC
Radio News" is not necessarily "Progressive Radio News."

Al answers: "This is the critical question. I imagine that most members
think that the IMC's raison d'etre is to provide a progressive alternative
to the mainstream.  In fact, I think it does serve that function almost
all the time.  We need to have explicit agreement on the IMC's purpose."

My two cents at this point is: "Who's 'WE'?"

When I gather audio and edit it into a radio news item, I think of myself,
for the most part, as acting solo--and I wouldn't have it any other way.
In fact, to be more specific, if the Urbana IMC told me it was going to be
some OTHER way (i.e., that some Content Committee was in charge of what
radio I could or couldn't produce), then ALL my contributions of gear and
expertise to the organization would cease IMMEDIATELY because THEN (from
my perspective) the organization would have undermined its mission.

To get back to the process of radio production, though, which is where I'd
like to make my point--it is the case that at the moment I am conducting
an interview, I am to a certain extent COLLABORATING with the interviewee.
However, when I DON'T invite the interviewee to edit the tape of the
interview, I think  of myself NOT as excluding their potential input,
but rather as doing MY job as a radio producer.

My point is that, generally speaking, the interviewee has the most power
over content before and during the interview.  That's when an interviewee
had best make no compromises about saying what she or he wants.  It seems
to me that the problems in this case stem from exactly THAT part of the
process.

Now, if, as an interviewee, the broadcast results misrepresent your words
or leave you dissatisfied, you have the option of rebuttal--i.e., you are
invited to become an independent producer of CONTENT!  SO:  If you want
power over the content of a piece of radio production AFTER the interview
is concluded, YOU need to be something other than an interviewee.  That's
just the mechanincs of the process.

I sincerely look forward to hearing Al Kagan, IMC Radio Producer, on WEFT
some Monday evening soon; and (of course) I am available by appointment
for audio trainings as well as all manner of audio-related tweaking and
geeking.

Autonomy+Solidarity=>Freedom
paulkotheimer:)
THE HAND-MADE RECORD LABEL