[Imc-radio] Meeting time and radio help

Radical Librarian radicallibrarian at hellokitty.com
Tue Jun 15 14:04:54 CDT 2004

Hi I also tried to come to the meeting today. I showed up at 1pm which is the last time that was posted to the IMC main list.
I'm not subscribed to Radio and didn't think it necessary to check the Radio list archive. I realize that it was an oversite,
but really publicizing meeting times is extremely important! And it is frustrating for people who change around their
schedules to accomodate a meeting that then doesn't exist. So although I am a bit frustrated, on with why I wanted to
attend the meeting.

I don't know where you stand with keeping or not keeping the slot on WEFT or where you stand with remaining a group,
but last night we had a newly reformed outreach group meeting, and I think that we are going to begin to see more
outreach activities happening. We all thought that Radio was an area that could use our attention. So if there is any
desire and ability for Radio to hold out as a group for a few more week or a month there may be fresh people coming in.
To that end we wanted each group to designate a contact person, so when new people come in they have a name of
person who will be committed to getting back in touch with the person.  We thought this might limit the number of people
who fall through the cracks because they didn't feel 100% confortable with coming to a meeting full of strangers (not even
knowing one person's name) or to send emails to generalized email lists. If Radio is able to remain a group please let me
know who that contact person should be. An important attribute of this person is to have the time and energy to be in
touch with new people in a reasonable amount of time.

The second reason I wanted to come to the meeting today, was that I knew that radio needed some help with producing
shows, I thought boy the whole time I've been involved with the IMC I've never done a radio show, maybe I should step up
to the plate. I'm going to the Allied Media Conference this weekend and I'm quite certain I could make a show about
media activists at the conference, or a general feature about zinesters (or both).  I don't think I could have this ready for
next Monday 21  (as I would have just gotten back Sunday night) though with help it could be possible. It could certainly
be done by the following Monday 6-28.

Also I've been talking with another librarian who wants to put together a radio program on library issues that actually
concern all of us (like intellectual freedom, the PATRIOT Act etc). I suggested that she try to pull this together this summer
for an IMC radio news program. She was interested and excited. I told her that I would be willing to help, but we would
also need some audio production training. (I may live with an audio geek, but I'm pretty tenious on my own editing/
production skills).

So to some up, the Outreach group is doing its best to be active again and is looking for a contact from the radio group to
send new people. Between myself and another librarian we may have two or three radio show that could be done for
IMCRN.

Let me know

Ellen
your frienly radical librarian