[Imc-radio] radio spoke

Dave Berliner daveberliner at mac.com
Tue Jun 29 17:07:14 CDT 2004

June 29, 2004
IMCRN minutes

Present: Carol, Dave, Sandra, Ondine, Nicky

The steering committee is a group of IMC members.  Each working group,
of which radio is one, is supposed to have a spokesperson (spoke) at
the steering committee meeting.  That is how consensus is reached for
the IMC.  At this time Zach is our spoke and has asked us to replace
him or communicate with him better about radio issues.  Anyone
interested in serving as the radio spoke should let us know.  If Zach
continues to be the radio spoke, he will need direct communication
about radio issues.  (Do not assume he is reading radio emails).

Steering committee meetings are the first Thursday of the month.
Next one: July 1 at 8:00.

Current steering committee issues:
-  We still need staff and the website needs updating.  Meetings are at
11:00 on Tues.
-  Archives of our shows are very difficult to access or upload.
-  The shows are not classified in any coherent way and there is no
link between the new radio website and the IMC website. (ucimc.org).
-  Did we get the money at WEFT from the programming committee?
-  Were we supposed to get $800 from the CPB money they get and can we
ask for it again and get $800 more and hire somebody?
-  We also need a liaison at WEFT to try to arrange for another airtime
slot.  The people who are keeping radio going can produce but we can't
produce and market/promote and do the technical part of the website.

(AGENDA)

1.  Sandra is soliciting opinions from citizens to put together
citizenspeak pieces.  When Sandra reads local webpages, letters to the
editor,  it seems to be primarily the voices of men.  She is seeking
the voices of women and minorities.

2.  Nicky is here for the summer and would like to produce radio.  She
would like to do a college radio show when she returns to Connecticut
in the Fall.  Her idea was to have a one hour show on Sunday nights
with jazz and reading a story aloud... ending with some classical
music.  Nicky could use IMC resources and make some demo discs of this
idea to use as a show proposal.  She currently works at Prairie Rivers
Network and might want to do a piece on stormdrains, and alerting
people as to what pollutes them.   She could do an interview with a
Prairie Rivers representative.  Another idea would be to read a written
article.  This doesn't make the most interesting radio, but it's OK.
The third way would be to gather audio: interview, noises of people
working at the site, snippets.  Nicky was also interested, parttcularly
after watching Fahrenheit 911, about the location of the military
recruiting office.
Nicky is going to try to produce a 7 minute piece about Sewer Drains
and the Prairie Rivers group where she interns.

3.  Dave is making a 13 minute piece with interviews of the NAACP or
the Police department as a followup to the story on the 28th.

4.  Ellen Knutson had planned to produce for the next show.  Is this
still on?
She is making a 23 minute show about the allied media conference and it
needs headlines.