[Imc-radio] protocols for IMCRN

O G buffa99 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 8 18:57:58 CST 2004

Hi all,

I worked for probably twenty hours producing my interview with Carol Spindel
on the Chief.  I was asked to trim it to twenty minutes and on Thursday I
submitted a finished piece at 18 minutes.  I was therefore taken aback to
listen to IMCRN tonight and hear that my entire introduction of Carol
Spindel was removed, as well as my closing thanks to her.  I put a lot of
thought into my pieces, and it is important for me to show respect to my
interviewees with the proper introduction and thank you's at the end.  For
my interview to just start with, "you, ... ," like it did tonight, is
something I would never, ever do.  Furthermore, without the listening
audience knowing anything about Carol Spindel, it reduced the credibility
and context of what she was saying.

While I understand that the person who knits the show together has a
challenge, timewise, I'd like to suggest that these protocols be developed:

1. No cuts to somebody's piece without their consent.  (I would have been
happy to oblige further cutting, but I would not have taken away the
introduction)

2. If you tell somebody a time limit, and somebody else's piece comes in
later, honor the first person's adherence to the time limit.

3. IMCRN is a highly collaborative effort with multiple producers.  On
tonight's show, Danielle Cynoweth was listed as the "producer" of the show.
  I suggest that the producers of each segment be acknowledged.

Thank you for your consideration of these suggestions.

Ondine Gross