[Imc-radio] protocols for IMCRN

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Tue Mar 9 15:32:44 CST 2004

Again, we need to discuss this in person.

> I worked for probably twenty hours producing my interview with Carol Spindel
> on the Chief.  I was asked to trim it to twenty minutes and on Thursday I
> submitted a finished piece at 18 minutes.  I was therefore taken aback to
> listen to IMCRN tonight and hear that my entire introduction of Carol
> Spindel was removed, as well as my closing thanks to her.  I put a lot of
> thought into my pieces, and it is important for me to show respect to my
> interviewees with the proper introduction and thank you's at the end.  For
> my interview to just start with, "you, ... ," like it did tonight, is
> something I would never, ever do.  Furthermore, without the listening
> audience knowing anything about Carol Spindel, it reduced the credibility
> and context of what she was saying.

I wrote a shorter intro so folks did know who she was.

> While I understand that the person who knits the show together has a
> challenge, timewise, I'd like to suggest that these protocols be developed:
>
> 1. No cuts to somebody's piece without their consent.  (I would have been
> happy to oblige further cutting, but I would not have taken away the
> introduction)

I can't commit to this if I am producing on Sunday night.  But perhaps we
can find another protocol that respects both producer and reporter.
Please remember producers are not evil curmudges who get paid to hack your
work up.  We just try to make a whole out of the pieces the best we can.

> 2. If you tell somebody a time limit, and somebody else's piece comes in
> later, honor the first person's adherence to the time limit.

I don't think that is taking care of our audience, but we can talk more
tonight.

> 3. IMCRN is a highly collaborative effort with multiple producers.  On
> tonight's show, Danielle Cynoweth was listed as the "producer" of the show.
>   I suggest that the producers of each segment be acknowledged.

Every week the producer - the person who produces the show out of the
various parts - has listed themselves as "producer" - my script was not
unique in this.  Producers are the people who put the show together.
Reporters are folks who make the pieces.  This is common parlance:
http://www.npr.org/about/people/bios/.  Every reporter was given
acknowledgement in the show.  Odine, I would love it if you became a show
producer so you can see what it entails.

If my responses come off as curt it is because I do feel attacked by your
e-mail which paints me as a person who hacks apart shows, doesn't listen
to pieces, and tries to take all the credit for the show.  I don't feel I
do any of these things.

It would be easier for me to discuss this in a meeting format than a flame
war on e-mail.

Again, it was never my intention to offend you, Ondine.  I was just doing
my assignment.  I am happy to discuss how to avoid this in the future.

danielle