[Imc-radio] FW: imcrn haitus

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:19:10 CDT 2005

This from a former person who produced IMCRN... as it was written to me and
my reply (in an effort to be transparent).

>Hi Sandra
>
>Thanks once again for taking responsibility for a job no one else would.
>I felt a pang when you put out the request for an emergency meeting, but
>it would have been irresponsible for me to give anyone the impression
>(including
>myself!) that I could do anything more than an occasional piece, and even
>that is suspect given my current living and working situation and
>inclination of where to apply my activist energy. I think your decision to
>put IMCRN on haitus is a good one, and I agree with your reasoning.
>
>Alas it seems things have become contentious with *current producer*. From
>my
>distant vantage point, I  always tempered my noticing of problems with the
>show with my memory of how hard it was to produce when I was involved and
>how heroic *current producer* seemed for carrying it on single-handedly. I
>can see how
>he might feel justified in asking for some of the WEFT money earmarked for
>the show, but he took on the responsibility with the knowledge that it was
>a volunteer effort, did he not?

I agree that the current producer has been herioc in his efforts. I also
don't think the problem with the quality has been that bad... just
ordinary... considering the immense job is it to pre-produce a weekly show.
None the less, the show has sometimes, been just a dowload of other entire
shows and some weeks have been missed altogether. I'm not blaming it on the
current producer... but on the fact that he is left being the only producer.

As all efforts at the IMC, unless explicitly stated, are volunteer efforts
and he did it for quite a period of time without asking to be paid... I can
only assume that he knew it was a volunteer job.

>Something you didn't explicitly address in your email is whether *current
>producer*
>disagrees about the haitus proposal -- i.e. is he wanting to continue the
>show? If that's the case, I think it would be appropriate to request that
>he organize a group to work with--like Pauline did with Life in the Bike
>Lane--or negotiate separately with WEFT himself. Does that make sense? And
>also (and here I'm running with a supposition) if he wants to continue
>doing the show, and is willing to address the quality issues and working
>group issues, that it would be reasonable for steering to entertain the
>idea of paying him or someone to coordinate, like the arrangement with
>Clint albeit without the grant.

*he indicated to me that he didn't NEED to produce the show anymore. I
showed up at steering to discuss this a couple of weeks... he showed up the
next... and communication hasn't been easy. He did know that he needed to
attend the WEFT programming meeting... or someone needed to and that didn't
happen... which is how I came to be reinvolved (I was asked by weft...
because I was the most recent consistant producer besides current
producers).

I agree that he can continue to pursue any show he wants to with WEFT,
absolutely... also he can continue to try to get a working group together
and re-propose and IMC show... but it is just a fact that we are not
producing the show that we proposed.

If we open  up  a paid position... he would need to apply for it... just
like anybody else...I would think.

-