[Imc-tech] Student projects at the UCIMC.

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 11 14:06:25 CDT 2001

Hi Todd,

I've thought about the questions you posed in your last e-mail, and I think
this proposal will address your concerns:

There are currently enough different areas at the IMC that it would
probably be better to have each group of students work on a different
project.  One possibility would be for each group of students to work on a
project in coordination with a different working group at the Independent
Media Center (e.g. librarians, news, print media, outreach, fundraising,
technology, etc).

I will be in Brazil between late June and July 20th or so, so this would be
a great way to devolve the oversight of the project among the working
groups -- each of which would find a project to have your students work
on.  I would work out the logistics between each working and student group
before I left.  Each working group has regular meetings throughout the
summer, so meeting with the students regularly would not be a problem and
the working groups are at the heart of the organization, so the students
would really be immersed in the IMC.

I've cc-ed the working groups on this e-mail so folks can provide input
about this idea.  The process I envision would look something like this:

1.  Interested working groups would propose ideas for the student
involvement on writing projects;

2.  I'd get back to you with a list of opportunities for your students
within the next week or so;

3.  Students would choose to work with certain working groups;

4.  Each working group would meet with the student groups and oversee the
different projects the students were working on.

Let me know what you think.

As for additional reading for students, "The Media Monopoly" by Ben
Bagdikian (especially Part 3: Mass media without masses) provides a good
overview.  Also, Chapter 12 ("Challenging the Press to do its Job") from
"Drive-by Journalism" by Arthur Rowse -- himself a longtime journalist --
would be a great place to start for your students.  I would also have your
students check out both our website: http://urbana.indymedia.org and the
global indymedia webpage: http://www.indymedia.org .

I'm putting the call out to the IMC's working groups for project proposals,
let me know if you have any further questions or concerns,

--Sascha Meinrath
Urbana-Champaign IMC