[Imc-tech] ftp on file server?

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Tue Jun 19 14:31:37 CDT 2001

We will be able to tell if the RealAudio server is running in too little
memory by monitoring performance. I don't think it will be a problem.

Because our network bandwidth is limited, an FTP server will put
negligible load on the server.

FTP servers have a pretty poor record for security.

It sounds like the Active software is so badly broken that we'd best put
all our effort into fixing that, first. It seems absurd that it discards
or refuses MP3 files at a certain number of kbps and not others. What
were the authors thinking?

Maybe we should do a review of the Active source code to find problem
points and figure out how to fix them?

Dave

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 12:44:35PM -0500, Paul Riismandel wrote:
> How difficult (or stupid) would it be to put an ftp server on our
> fileserver?  Would we be just overloading the box?
>
> Right now it is difficult to distribute broadcast-quality mp3s (as you saw
> in Paul K's post earlier) and having a ftp site would make it easier.
>
> On the Real Audio front, the specs for the server say that 128 MB of RAM is
> recommended.  I don't know why, and I'm not sure how true it is (my server
> at work has 256).  Do we want to give it a shot anyway?
>
> Also, apparently Zach has RealServer running on groogroo.  So we could do
> some streaming off there too.  I need to get the details from Zach.
>
> --Paul

David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933