[Imc-tech] answers

Daniel S. Lewart d-lewart at uiuc.edu
Thu May 17 23:04:11 CDT 2001

Rockin' Zach,

> > 1) Why does urbana.indymedia.org use cookies?
> Because my server (which hosts a lot of other things besides UCIMC)
> sets a session tracking cookie for statistics purposes...because I'm
> nosey. Along with configuring the logs to not record IPs for imc hits
> I will look into disabling the session cookie for IMC hits.

Adding the following two lines to the urbana.indymedia.org virtual
server stanza in /etc/apache/httpd.conf should work:
	CookieTracking off
	CustomLog /var/log/apache/ucimc_access.log "%t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\" %T %v %{UNIQUE_ID}e"

I figure the ucimc logs should go to a different file so that analog
doesn't get confused.  I suppose the log rotation and analog cron jobs
need to be adjusted accordingly.

> > 2) Which color scheme do we want to use:
> Note that all the different IMCs have different color schemes. I think
> this is a good thing. They all have a consistent look but each is
> unique. I'm happy to change our colors but we shouldn't change them to
> the same as any other IMC. And we should let the graphic artist types
> pick our colors, not the techies (Danielle, a graphic artist, picked
> our current colors).
> Personally I thought the black and white basic colors of your demo
> site a while back was _great_. But no one else agreed. I'm a big fan
> of black and white simple web pages.

Excellent points.  I will implement Danielle's idea which will give
us printable black and white web pages too.

> Oh and can I also just say: Dan you rock.

You may, but only if I am permitted to utter: Zach you rock severely.

Cheers,
Dan