[Imc-tech] Re: [Imc-newsroom] Please remove me from your website

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 18 13:42:00 CDT 2002

Max,
The Steering group discussed your concerns at our meeting today.
Unfortunately, we will probably not be able to help you with your
request to alter a story on our website.
Nadine Malik is not listed in the student-staff directory at the UI or
on the Daily Illini staff directory so we are unable to contact her.
Perhaps you misunderstood her in your conversation, as she was working
on (as you can plainly see from the article) a story on letters to the
editor in the DI. Whatever the case, a writer may use their work in any
fashion and in any venue, even if they are actually employed by a
certain entity and identify as such, unless they are contracturally
prohibited from doing so by that entity. I have no idea if that is the
case with the DI or what her status with the DI might be.

Since the qoutes from you do not appear to be speech that is illegal nor
of a defamatory (and hence libelous in) nature we must stand by the
First Amendment right of Nadine as a writer to use what material she has
gathered in ways she sees fit. If you have contact information for her
(since we don't), you are welcome to contact her and request that she
herself ask us that the story be altered, but we cannot do so at your
request. The article remains her intellectual property and we must stand
by our website disclaimer on this, since all posters are solely
responsible for the contents of their own posts.

You are, of course, welcome to post a clarifying comment to the original
article or to work out something with Nadine herself, as she is the only
one who can request that an article which she posted be altered in any
way.
Mike Lehman