[Imc-tech] digi001

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 21 12:17:11 CST 2002

At steering the idea was raised that the IMC buy a Digi001, which is a 24
track audio recording and editing card.  It's a nice unit-- I use one at
work--but I have two significant concerns about us buying one, even though
through Paul K's generosity the IMC will be reimbursed for it.

First, I'm wondering what the purpose for this card would be. It's kind of
major overkill for radio voice-over work, and Pro Tools, its software, is
not exactly user-friendly.  There's a pretty long learning curve in
comparison to Sound Forge, Acid or Vegas.  It's taken me months to get
comfortable with it, and I still don't feel particularly confident using
ProTools.  How would we intend to get the Newshour people up to speed with it?

Second,  what computer would we install it in?  I have heard nothing but
horror stories about using the Digi001 with a PC. This unit was designed to
work with a Mac, and it's widely believed that the PC compatibility is
still a hack.  I, for one, am very reticent to try and install one in a PC
and keep it working.  I will not work on another MotherJones.  However, the
Digi001 works flawlessly in a Mac -- I don't think our's has ever
crashed.  You need at least a G3 workstation with at least 384 MB of RAM to
get things off the ground.  If we bought a Digi001 would we also buy a Mac?

I really need to be convinced that there is a significant application for
such a piece of equipment at the IMC that merits the significant outlay of
time and resource required.  I'm not against having one per se, but I can
think of a lot of things we really could use much more.  Digital Video
camera anyone?

--Paul