[Imc-tech] problems with mp3's

Pauline Bartolone alice_redqueen at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 5 13:21:39 CDT 2002

hey techies,

I produced a piece for FSRN today and I just wanted to give a little heads
up about the problems I had converting to mp3:

On both ACID and Soundforge, when I went to "save as" to convert it to mp3
from a wav, a window came up asking me for a serial #. That was weird, we
should be able to convert to mp3 on the sonic foundry software without using
another application, no?

So I decided to use the mp3 compressor off the programs menu. First of all,
there doesn't seem to be an option to deciding whihc compression rate I
want, only 128kb, which is great quality, but FSRN only needs 80 or 64. (the
National radio Project does require 128 however). So I tried to compress my
5 minute wav file, and it was seemingly sucessful, but when I listened to is
it cut it off at 2 minutes. I tried multiple times compressing it again in
different files, and it did the same thing. Its like it cant compress
anything over 2 minutes. That was under the "quick" option on the
preferences button.

So i tried the other option ( not quick, not sure which one it is called),
and it kept giving me an error message.

Not sure what the problem is, but I suggest the IMC gets Cooledit (a good
program, but annoying in a lot of ways) or Audiocatalyst, which just
converts wav's to mp3. It can be downloaded off the NRP's FTP server, which
you can access when someone does a piece for them.

just wanted to share what happened when it was fresh in my head.

thanks for your good work- Pauline