[Imc-tech] Please don't touch the patch panel.

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 17 11:47:24 CST 2002

Hi everyone,

The IMC's intranet has been growing and getting increasingly complex over
the last year.  As such it requires more expertise to troubleshoot
problems that arise on our network.  Solutions that worked before might
have unintended consequences.  As such, please do not attempt to change
the configuration of the patch panel if you are not absolutely sure what
you are doing.  We've had several problems with computers and phones
getting disconnected in the last week because people have incorrectly
configured the system.  Even more importantly, if you do know what you are
doing and do change the panel's configuration, it is absolutely imperative
(to preserving our techies remaining sanity) that you let the tech
collective know of the changes you've instituted.

So, please do not mess with the patch panel unless you know exactly what
you're doing; and please e-mail the tech working group <tech at ucimc.org> if
you do make any changes.

Thanks,

--Sascha