[Imc-tech] Re: [Imsahp-users] DSL update

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Tue Aug 19 15:39:24 CDT 2003

Paul Bengt Riismandel wrote:
> Perhaps we want to switch from Soltec/SBC to McLeod at the IMC, too?
> Since they're being uncooperative, and McLeod is cheaper, too, I
> believe.

Sascha is working on investigating this. At the very least we should
get our rate at the IMC reduced since SolTec has a DSL special on
right now with lower rates.

One problem is that McLeod only offers SDSL in our area afaik.

Another problem is that even with McLeod, I believe that Ameritech/SBC
still owns the copper wires going to the building so problems (like
the one I'm having) still go through Ameritech/SBC rather than being
addressed directly by McLeod.

What might be best for IMC would be to skip around the whole SBC
empire and get set up with VoloNet which would be higher bandwidth for
a much lower cost and you wouldn't have to deal with SBC. Volonet is
not available at my house currently due to some interference but it
may well work much better on IMC's much higher roof and clearer line
of site to the tower.

In the past I've eschewed Volonet based on perceived fears about their
ability to service their infrastructure reliably but really knowing
that we know the owner of the company directly I think we couldn't
help but get better service from them than from SBC.

I've just been assured by Sol Tec's business manager that when this is
all resolved they'll offer some kind of rebate and drop our monthly
rate to make things right.