[Imc-tech] Re: [Imsahp-users] DSL update

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Tue Aug 19 16:20:45 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 03:39:24PM -0500, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> Paul Bengt Riismandel wrote:
> > Perhaps we want to switch from Soltec/SBC to McLeod at the IMC, too?
> > Since they're being uncooperative, and McLeod is cheaper, too, I
> > believe.
>
> Sascha is working on investigating this. At the very least we should
> get our rate at the IMC reduced since SolTec has a DSL special on
> right now with lower rates.
>
> One problem is that McLeod only offers SDSL in our area afaik.

Typically you pay more for SDSL, and the IMC wouldn't use the upstream
capacity.

> Another problem is that even with McLeod, I believe that Ameritech/SBC
> still owns the copper wires going to the building so problems (like
> the one I'm having) still go through Ameritech/SBC rather than being
> addressed directly by McLeod.

Amen.  Switching to McLeod won't gain you much, and FWIW I haven't
heard good things about McLeod's customer service.  The local pairs
are still Ameritech's, and you'll fight them regardless of who your
CLEC is.

I wouldn't switch the IMC net connection, which has been trouble-free,
without good reason.  When the power surge killed the IMC router,
Soltec dropped one off and hooked it up in person, and it was working
within hours of my phone call.

			-Clint