[Imc-tech] more update

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Thu Aug 28 22:28:40 CDT 2003

The DSL line is getting worse. I know this. We've determined beyond a
shadow of a doubt that this is DEFINITELY a problem on SBC/Ameritech's
end. It is not a problem with the wiring in my house, with my router,
with my LAN, with the copper pair coming into my house, or anything
else this side of the DSLAM.

We think it is a bad card on SBC's DSLAM.

I have gotten inside contact information for Ameritech's business DSL
service which former Sol Tec employees say really rocks. At least one
of the good Sol Tec people that I used to deal with who really
facilitated getting things taken care of in a timely way is now
working for Ameritech. Apparently they can do an expedited install in
5-7 business days (as opposed to McLeod's 30 days). They should be
able to give me a faster line for cheaper and I'll know that we have a
direct business contact who will help us so we don't have to fear
interfacing the SBC monolith.

I'm going to let the McLeod order go through and make an Ameritech
order and continue to try to get Sol Tec to fix this line (and insist
on a MUCH lower price). If I end up with three functioning DSL lines,
I'll keep them all so I have backups so that if this crap ever goes
down again we'll NEVER have this kind of months long CRAP. If some of
the three fail to get tehir lines working well I'll drop those knowing
that we've got the other(s) working well.

So I'm thinking that the worst case scenario is that this long (and
ever worsening) network nightmare will be over in about a week.

In other news the UIUC/cmihub problem with the lagginess is back but
CITES is still working on it with the hardware vendor of the culprit
hardware. So that problem should be cleared up in a day or day.