[Imc-tech] updates

Arun Bhalla bhalla at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 20 18:18:47 CST 2005

Well, I had to restart Apache again.  There were 6 Apache processes
running out of control, and Apache seemed generally unresponsive on
port 80.  For reference, I couldn't strace any of the runaway processes;
I might try to attach via gdb next time, which may or may not be helpful.
I killed the following PIDs (30313, 705, 26590, 1438, 705, 855), in case
there's a log somewhere that associates HTTP requests with PIDs.  The
master Apache process was not runaway, though.  Even though I sent
SIGKILL (9) to those processes, Apache still seemed unresponsive, so
I restarted with "apachectl restart".  That made things better, but
one of the first requests Apache served after the restart, a request
for http://www.ucimc.org/ from my server via lynx, launched a runaway
process.  I killed that process (4188), and everything seems to be okay
so far.

It's odd that a runaway Apache process popped up so quickly after an
Apache restart.  I imagine the only request that 4188 served was for
ucimc.org, so I wonder if there's something in Dada or mod_php that's
causing problems.

Arun

"Zachary C. Miller" writes:
> I'm working tonight on trying to fix our ongoing problems with apache
> flaking out and with spam. I just upgraded 525 packages and
> rebooted. There was a bit of of downtime (I figured that since the IMC
> is currently offline, during the IMC party was a good time for
> that). Next I'm upgrading the kernel. Then I'm going to work on adding
> new spam filtering stuff.
>
> Expect another reboot or two before the night is over.
>
> --
> Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://zach.chambana.net/
> IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta!
>  Social Justice, Community, Nonviolence, Decentralization, Feminism,
>  Sustainability, Responsibility, Diversity, Democracy, Ecology

Arun Bhalla