[Imc-tech] Re: [IMC-Space] Internet Service at the PO Building

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Thu May 26 15:13:31 CDT 2005

In the long run (especially if we want to provide service to tennants)
I suggest that we get a T1. They run about $450/month for a full T1
from speakeasy.

I suggest we not bother getting a T1 until we have a plan for our
server room, for our tennants needs, and for who will be taking care
of our tech infrastructure. No sense having something fancy if there
is no one to maintain it.

I say get a Cable modem and stick a wireless access point on it. Then
you don't have to run a LAN, you don't have to hassle with anything
really. You also won't need to use the gateway machine sitting in the
closet at the IMC either.

I will be unable to help with tech stuff (or anything really) at the
Urbana PO until September at the earliest. My schedule this summer is
incredibly jam packed.

If there are other techies who can step forward to lead the planning
and implementation of tech infrastructure at the IMC that would be
excellent. I'm happy to provide a little advice, sit in on a planning
meeting, but I can't do implementation or maintenance.

Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://zach.chambana.net/