[IMC-Tech] Moving the Server...

Stephane Alnet stephane at shimaore.net
Sun Feb 12 12:18:46 CST 2006

[Mike wrote:]
> Down at the east end is a duct. At the north end is a vent. It
> appears that the east end is the inlet and that the air is pulled
> out through the north duct via the circulation pattern in the
> building, as well as out through the peep holes in the floor.

If I remember properly from the visit we did during the tech meeting
in December, the inlet is located next to (what we thought was) the
HVAC room on the "second" floor and we assumed it was getting heat
and A/C from that room. If that "HVAC" room is pumping air inside the
tunnel (creating a higher pressure) I'd assume the vent will work as
a natural exhaust by releasing the pressure into the large room
underneath.

The only concern would be whether the provisions that were made for
the purpose of postal inspection (say, one sitting human body, 312BTU/
h ~ 90W) will be enough to cover for our needs (unknown number of BTU/
h).
S. (slowly recovering from diaper coma)

PS: Independently, there is another inspection "tunnel" on the east
side of the building (above the loading dock and the mail chute);
I've never visited it and I'm not sure what the space group is
planning to do with it, but it has to be a smaller space. If we can't
get proper HVAC in the larger tunnel(*) it may be worth looking at
that other spot since it'd be less expensive to HVAC'd a smaller
space than a large one.

(*) Which reminds me we should install a thermometer in the tunnel
when we put the gear in it so that we can visually see how things are
working out temperature-wise. Remotely accessible, web-based climate
control panel left as an exercise to the reader.

Maths for BTU/h: Basal metabolism = 1.0kcal/min = 240BTU/h; sitting =
add 0.3kcal/min... so sitting = 1.3kcal/min = 312BTU/h = 91.4W  (1 W
= 0.293 BTU/h).
Refs:
http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/teardrop/heating.htm
http://www.energy.iastate.edu/renewable/wind/wem/wem-18_apen_a.html
http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_iii/otm_iii_4.html#3

----
- Mais la clé, qui tourne deux fois
Dans ta porte de patriarche,
Souffle l'ardeur, éteint la voix.
Sur le talus, l'amour quitté, le vent m'endort.