[IMC-Tech] Moving the Server...

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sun Feb 12 12:36:04 CST 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 12:18:46PM -0600, Stephane Alnet wrote:
> [Mike wrote:]
> >Down at the east end is a duct. At the north end is a vent. It
> >appears that the east end is the inlet and that the air is pulled
> >out through the north duct via the circulation pattern in the
> >building, as well as out through the peep holes in the floor.
>
> If I remember properly from the visit we did during the tech meeting
> in December, the inlet is located next to (what we thought was) the
> HVAC room on the "second" floor and we assumed it was getting heat
> and A/C from that room. If that "HVAC" room is pumping air inside the
> tunnel (creating a higher pressure) I'd assume the vent will work as
> a natural exhaust by releasing the pressure into the large room
> underneath.
>
> The only concern would be whether the provisions that were made for
> the purpose of postal inspection (say, one sitting human body, 312BTU/
> h ~ 90W) will be enough to cover for our needs (unknown number of BTU/
> h).
> S. (slowly recovering from diaper coma)
>
> PS: Independently, there is another inspection "tunnel" on the east
> side of the building (above the loading dock and the mail chute);
> I've never visited it and I'm not sure what the space group is
> planning to do with it, but it has to be a smaller space. If we can't
> get proper HVAC in the larger tunnel(*) it may be worth looking at
> that other spot since it'd be less expensive to HVAC'd a smaller
> space than a large one.

> (*) Which reminds me we should install a thermometer in the tunnel
> when we put the gear in it so that we can visually see how things are
> working out temperature-wise. Remotely accessible, web-based climate
> control panel left as an exercise to the reader.

To test out the space, what if you run a bank of 100W lightbulbs
overnight, and see how the HVAC copes with the added heat?

Incidentally, OJC is looking for a more permanent location for its
servers.  We asked an HVAC company for an estimate for air-conditioning
our makeshift network closet, which gets veryvery hot, and it was $6000!
We are still without a satisfactory and affordable solution.  Maybe IMC
and OJC can cooperate to create a more nearly ideal server room at a
reasonable cost to both parties.

Dave