[IMC-Tech] Re: "crow" email list.

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Thu Jun 15 15:46:46 CDT 2006

I disabled the list because it was the opinion of the station manager
and the chair of the board that the list was not an official weft list
and that the lists use of the weft.org domain constituted an abuse of
that domain.

Until/unless WEFT appoints an official liason to chambana.net (a role
formerly served by Euan on behalf of the PR committee on behalf of the
associates, a role eventually passed on to Jason P but from which he
resigned), the word of the station manager and/or the chair of the
board is the word that dictates what is official. If you don't think
that's appropriate then perhaps that is a reform of WEFT that you can
work for.

There's no problem with you having your crow email list on
chambana.net. But you have to sign a contract to pay $30/year for it
just like any other independent organization (or make other
arrangements with the tech group) and you have to host it under either
lists.chambana.net or your own personal domain or you have to get weft
to formally sanction the creation of the list. If you were a comittee
chair or the designee of a committee chair of a formally sanctioned
WEFT committee then you could probably use weft.org (again though,
this is up to WEFT policy, not chambana.net policy).  To my knowledge
the CROW committee is not a formally recognized committee of the
associates or of the board. If crow is a committee of AWARE, and AWARE
is in good standing with chambana.net, then AWARE can pay an
additional $10/month to add an additional email list. Things with
billing are very much in flux/limbo right now but we do expect that
cooperative users of the service understand that they need to
financially support the server.

http://hosting.chambana.net/agreement.html

If the station manager had told me that the weft-eng list was
inappropriate, I would have disabled it. If you believe the station
manager is overstepping authority that's an internal matter for WEFT
to deal with, not for chambana.net to deal with.

It is our naming standard that all lists actually related to WEFT
start with the word "weft". All lists actually related to the
prairiegreens start with "prairiegreens". All lists actually related
to AWARE start with "peace" or "aware".

In the past I've been keenly aware of who has authority in each
organization to request changes to the service. Dan doesn't have my
long term involvement with these organizations, so we'll probably have
to work on formalizing relationships and this will happen in time. In
the mean time, we're all just going to have to deal with things being
a little ill defined and mushy for a while and do our best to get
along. And, there's plenty of other hosting providers in the sea!