[IMC-Tech] moving the busiest sites...

Josh King joshuaheretic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 23:00:05 CST 2007

Hey Dave,

As far as I know, because of the way in which Insight has assigned us
static addresses that are in a dynamic block, it is necessary to send
outgoing mail through a relay to keep ISPs and other mail servers from
blocking our mail, as they wisely use DNSBL-type blacklists which block
all mail coming from addresses in dynamic blocks. Insight has an
outgoing relay which is extremely limited in ways that escape my memory
for the moment, but which make it effectively useless for our purposes.
Thus an outgoing relay was set up on E-P's mailserver, which we've been
using for some time with no problems I'm aware of. Hopefully future
bandwidth arrangements will give us _real_ static addresses, which will
obviate the need for an outgoing relay. Sorry to break into the
conversation, but I hope I was able to help out with answering your
question. Dan, feel free to correct me on anything I got wrong.

David Young wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 10:15:53PM -0600, dan blah wrote:
>> On 2/20/07, Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> Dan,
>>> Sounds pretty much OK with me.
>>>
>>> The only thing I would add is that it is nice when the website is down
>>> that the email still works. But I'd gotten used to doing without when
>>> they were together and dead -- it's just that this now seems like a luxury.
>>>
>>> Also, we always had some weird things with email in the past that drug
>>> everything else down, tech stuff that is over my head, but assuming this
>>> is under control, then maybe it's nothing to be concerned about now.
>>> Mike Lehman
>>>
>> yeah most likely mail can stay where it is (on imsahp) for now.
>> actually as it is now the server that i am proposing we move the
>> busier sites too is already handling the email in that because
>> insight's mail relay is to slow we are actually relaying all of our
>> mail through it.  that server went offline for the first time in a
>> couple years just a couple weeks ago.
>>
>> most likely what i will do is keep mail where its at and set up mango
>> as a backup so if imsahp/insight start acting up again we wont loose
>> any mail.
>
> Dan,
>
> Help me understand the email setup.  Does IMC use E-P for outgoing mail,
> or incoming mail, or both?
>
> Why does Insight's relay enter the picture?
>
> Dave

- --
Josh King
- --