[IMC-Tech] moving the busiest sites...

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 23:28:42 CST 2007

On 2/20/07, Josh King <joshuaheretic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Dave,
>
> As far as I know, because of the way in which Insight has assigned us
> static addresses that are in a dynamic block, it is necessary to send
> outgoing mail through a relay to keep ISPs and other mail servers from
> blocking our mail, as they wisely use DNSBL-type blacklists which block
> all mail coming from addresses in dynamic blocks. Insight has an
> outgoing relay which is extremely limited in ways that escape my memory
> for the moment, but which make it effectively useless for our purposes.
> Thus an outgoing relay was set up on E-P's mailserver, which we've been
> using for some time with no problems I'm aware of. Hopefully future
> bandwidth arrangements will give us _real_ static addresses, which will
> obviate the need for an outgoing relay. Sorry to break into the
> conversation, but I hope I was able to help out with answering your
> question. Dan, feel free to correct me on anything I got wrong.

yeah basically josh is correct.  we have a couple problems with
insight that they refuse to fix as they say their system doesnt
support it:

1.)  although they give us static ip's they give us no reverse control
ove them.  so...
[~] $ host 74.134.237.239
239.237.134.74.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
74-134-237-239.dhcp.insightbb.com.

rather than it resolving to mail.chambana.net

this will scare some harded mail servers away and not allow us to
recieve mail from them.  we just deal with this as its a small % of
servers and has yet to raise an eyebrow, but it does cause issues in
other areas.

2.) insight, like all isp's, provides an internal smtp relay for for
clients to send mail through.  when you are on a block ip's that is
known to be full of dynamic or sticky (almost static but not quite)
hosts like dialup, dsl, or cable (sticky) well configured mail servers
will deny mail from all hosts in that ip block but the isp provided
relay.  this was how we set things up for about 2 days before we
realized that their relay allows only one connection per host at a
time.  this is all good and fine for you home account or your average
small to medium sized business but not for us.  our queue was filling
up because of our volume requiring far more than one send at a time.

the solution to this last problem was to allow an outside mail server
do something it would normally never do, send email from unknown hosts
to other unknown hosts.  so thats what e-p does... it bounces only
email sent from imsahp to the sender w/o any delays.  thats where you
get the:
in your message headers.

hope that gets you what you were looking for david.
> David Young wrote:

> >> yeah most likely mail can stay where it is (on imsahp) for now.
> >> actually as it is now the server that i am proposing we move the
> >> busier sites too is already handling the email in that because
> >> insight's mail relay is to slow we are actually relaying all of our
> >> mail through it.  that server went offline for the first time in a
> >> couple years just a couple weeks ago.
> >>
> >> most likely what i will do is keep mail where its at and set up mango
> >> as a backup so if imsahp/insight start acting up again we wont loose
> >> any mail.
> >
> > Dan,
> >
> > Help me understand the email setup.  Does IMC use E-P for outgoing mail,
> > or incoming mail, or both?
> >
> > Why does Insight's relay enter the picture?
> >
> > Dave
> >

> - --
> Josh King
> - --
> email: joshuaheretic at gmail.com, jking2 at uiuc.edu, jking at cuwin.net
> aim: joshuaheretic
> - --
> Developer, Acorn Active Media (http://www.acornactivemedia.com)
> Network Engineer & Board Member, CUWiN Foundation (http://www.cuwin.net)
> System Administrator, Chambana.net (http://www.chambana.net)
> - --
> "I am an Anarchist not because I believe Anarchism is the final goal,
> but because there is no such thing as a final goal." -Rudolf Rocker

Daniel